Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Dear Martha (not THAT Martha, the other one)



Okay, you know when girls get together and "scrap" or "crop" or whatever they call it? I'm sorry out there to all of ya'll, but I just shake my head. I don't get, I can't get into it, and despite the numerous efforts by many friends over the years I just don't do it. I have been GIVEN multiple sticker sets, pages, pens, cutters, etc, all with the hope that I would get into making cards or scrapbooks and such. People spend thousands of dollars for these things and they have just been handed to me yet I don't get into it. I'll be a good sport and go to their parties and create a card or two, but that is where it ends for me.
So.. this will come as a shock to those of you out there who have tried to make Stacey "crafty". I have begun a quilt, and I love it. ** I am going to pause to let that sink in..**

So since we have moved, I have been telling people the most difficult part of the move is the fact that I haven't invested myself in something yet here. I used to be invested in my job, but since I'm just subbing now, I can't invest in that. So recently my favorite/closest cousin told me she is expecting a baby, and it got me thinking about the quilts my Grandma Martha made whenever a new grand baby was born, and that got me thinking about my grandma's sewing machine which was sitting at my parent's old house. So, I picked it up and my husband took to getting her oiled and working, even then I wasn't sure if I could make it. I often in life will not try something out of fear of failure or stop before I MIGHT fail because I am afraid.
So that's when my hubby says, "Stacey, it is your first time. It isn't going to be like the ones your grandmother or godmother has made. It will be just yours." And that was what I needed. My husband gave me the support and encouragement to try without feeling like I had to make one that was INCREDIBLE.

So, in the tradition of the many quilters in my life, including Grandma Martha whose machine is inspiring me, I have completed the top of my first quilt. Now the extremely intimidating part of basting and binding my quilt is left but I am so excited. And may have found, dare I say it, a crafty hobby. If I can figure out how to upload pics, I'll include those. I guess you just never know what the future can hold, or what the support of a loving husband can do.

1 comment: